Welcome to Civil War Fact Check
- FACT CHECK: ALEXANDER HAMILTON SUPPORTED THE RATIOS OF REPRESENTATIONCLAIM: Alexander Hamilton supported the Ratios of Representation. INVESTIGATOR: John Needham FACT CHECK DETAILS: FACTUAL ACCURATE INVESTIGATOR’S FINDINGS: As a New York delegate to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, Alexander Hamilton saw the need for compromise on the issue of slavery in order to establish a new confederacy of States. With his … Read More »
- OLIGARCHY: AN AMERICAN FEAR DURING SECESSION WINTER – PART 2February 1861. With seven States having left the Union, Americans believed two different political oligarchies had been rooted. Northerners saw Southerners as traitors to the Union interested only in establishing a slave republic and protecting the institution of slavery.
- HILL PUSHES BACK BURNSIDEThe last battle at Antietam took place on the Rebel right flank where the Union Army lead by General Burnside tried to fight its way across a strongly defended stone bridge over Antietam Creek. Burnside had 12,500 men and McClellan’s promise in supporting his attack. The Confederates held the bluff … Read More »
- THE SONS OF ERINSeptember 17, 1862 has the sad distinction of being the bloodiest single day of fighting in America’s bloodiest war. Combined casualties at the Battle of Antietam were 26,134. Few regiments suffered more than the Irish Brigade on the Union side of the battle.
- UNTIL VICTORY IS WONThe second part of the Battle of Antietam fell on Lee’s center where a sunken county road lay hidden by a low breastwork of fence rails.